Doug Nolan, D.O.
Program Director, Family Medicine Residency
1400 East Downing
Tahlequah, Ok 74464
Tahlequah City Hospital
Rural Family Medicine Training
The residency program at Tahlequah City Hospital is a community partnership with healthcare facilities centrally located in Tahlequah, Oklahoma. The program begins its first year in June of 2009.
Tahlequah City Hospital is a modern 100 bed facility that serves as a hub for trauma and patient care in Cherokee County Oklahoma and adjacent surrounding communities.
Tahlequah is the home of Northeastern State University, the Cherokee Nation, Lake Tenkiller, and the scenic Illinois River.
The Mission of Tahlequah City Hospital is to provide unsurpassed excellence in healthcare. Quality is the key component in every service offered at Tahlequah City Hospital. To accommodate the needs of our growing population, Tahlequah City Hospital has expanded its services to offer a wide variety of hospital services and physicians specialties.
Tahlequah provides a “big city style” atmosphere in a rural community. Our residency program is within one hour of an international airport in Tulsa, Oklahoma without the traffic congestion and time delays of a large city.
- Family Medicine
- Internal Medicine
- General Surgery
- Cardiovascular Surgery
- Emergency Medicine
Residents work with physicians in clinical departments, receiving educational support from the OSU College of Osteopathic Medicine. Tahlequah City Hospital is the only hospital of its size in the State of Oklahoma to perform open-heart surgery; therefore, providing a unique opportunity for residents to participate in an entire array of disciplines in a rural environment. A new state-of-the-art catheterization lab, operating rooms, and critical care unit were recently introduced, allowing thoracic and vascular procedures to be added to services.
The Tahlequah City Hospital emergency room is a Level III Trauma Center.
Tahlequah is approved as a Physician Manpower Training Commission (PMTC) rural practice site.
Number of positions
3 Residency Positions - Residency Application
Salary and Benefits
- PGY I salary - $41,000
- PGY II salary $43,000
- PGY II salary $45,000
- Malpractice Insurance
- Family/medical leave
- Educational stipend
- Doug Nolan, D.O. Family Medicine, Program Director
- James Allen, D.O. Anesthesiology
- Paul Bizzle, D.O. Orthopedic Surgery
- Jim Brixey, D.O. Family Medicine
- Richard Castillo, D.O. Ophthalmology
- Wallace Champlain, D.O. Ob/Gyn
- Tracey Childers, D.O. ENT/Facial Plastics
- George Cohlmia, M.D. Cardiovascular Surgery
- Chris DeLoache, D.O. Orthopedic Surgery
- John Galdamez, D.O. Intensivist
- Kenny Gibson, D.O. Family Medicine
- Stanley Handshy, M.D. Family Medicine
- Paul Hobbs, M.D. Internal Medicine
- Deborah Jennings, M.D. Psychiatry
- Adele King, D.O. Anesthesiology
- Bill Lutton, M.D. Neurology
- James Madison, D.O. Nephrology
- Jenifer Mathis M.D. Hospitalist
- Jane McKinnon, M.D. Cardiovascular Surgery
- Danny Minor, M.D. General Surgery
- Justin Plaxico, D.O. General Surgery
- Chandrasekhar Polepalle, M.D. Gastroenterology
- Jena Rogers, M.D. Internal Medicine
- Donna Schneider, D.O. Family Medicine
- Mark Seratt, M.D. Family Medicine
- Naveed Siddique, M.D. Pediatrics
- Mark Sizemore, D.O. Urology
- Robin Stevenson, M.D. Ob/Gyn
- Larry Sumner, M.D. Family Medicine
- Donn Turner, D.O. Family Medicine
- Randall Turner, D.O. Emergency Medicine
- Avery Williams, D.O. Anesthesiology
- Total Licensed Beds
- Tahlequah City Hospital 100
- Operational Beds
- Tahlequah City Hospital 95
- Hospital Data (last fiscal year)
- Admissions 4,576
- ER Visits 17,000
- Births 388
- Surgeries 3,992
- Outpatient visits 51,000