OSU Center for Health Sciences
OKstars Summer Research Program
The OSU-CHS Oklahoma Science Training and Research Students program provides high school juniors and seniors the opportunity to participate in cutting-edge research. The program includes in-depth work with a research team, access to modern instrumentation and potential opportunities to participate in publications and presentations.
Benefits of Participation in OKStars
High school interns are immersed in a research atmosphere that is usually reserved for graduate students. Each intern works with a faculty research mentor and research team on a research project. A range of modern equipment is available to support the research – such as facilities for materials fabrication, modern chemical and biological analysis facilities, and microscopy resources that are among the best in the southwest. The intern is invited to participate in Research Day at OSU Center for Health Sciences as well as the City of Tulsa Research Day.
Research opportunities available for students are available with the Departments of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Biochemistry and Microbiology, Pharmacology and Physiology and the Department of Obstetrics. Participants in OKstars can pursue research in the following areas:
- Cell Biology
- Vertebrate Paleontology
- Data Analytics and innovation
- Rural Health trends
Responsibilities of an OKstars participant
The summer research experience is extensive and each scholar is expected to participate between 20-25 hours per week (Monday through Friday) during the program duration. Applicants should be aware of the requirements and time commitments they apply. Schedules will be determined by the participant and their mentor.
Requirements for Applicants
- Applicants must have at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA in a rigorous high school curriculum.
- Other requirements are listed on the Application Form.
- Application Procedure. Applications must be received no later than 3 p.m. on April 1. Please submit your application online.
- Decisions on Applications. All applications will be reviewed by an OSU Center for Health Sciences’ faculty selection committee, and decisions will be based on merit, taking into account all information provided by applicants.
- Cost. All program fees will be covered by OSU Center for Health Sciences at no cost to the student.
- Transportation and housing are not provided.